Here is a list of herbs that we keep in the house (especially during the winter months) we use them when we are catching a cold or virus.
- Echinacea- Best to use at the first signs of getting a cold. You can take it in a capsule form or you can purchase a tincture (great for kids) and take as many drops that is recommended on the bottle
- Elderberry- love this one since it cuts the sick time in half (we like using the tinctures)
- Astragalas- its anti bacterial and anti inflammatory, boosts the immune system (used to treat pneumonia, whooping cough and bronchitis)
- Ginger- you can drink this as a tea, or capsules (great for circulation and to sweat out toxins)
- Pro-Biotics- we like to use the Bio K plus (especially for the kids) its in a yogurt form and gives you all the good bacteria for your intestines
- Vitamin D-3- this is a really great way to ward off colds and flus. For kids we like to use drops and for adults we like the gel capsules from Carlson’s (during winter months we use a couple of thousand a day, ask your doctor what dosage you can safely use)
- Garlic & Onion- natures best antibiotic without killing off the good bacteria like antibiotics do. Make lots of soups using as much onion and garlic as possible (check out my lentil soup recipe)
- Vitamin C- stops the viral replication and protects the outer line of the cell (we like to use one made of whole foods so that we can avoid the fructose (Natures Way has a powder we use)
- Colloidal Silver- we use this for the whole family adding a dropper to our drink when we have a virus. It destroys single cell nuclei fungus and bacteria.
- Olive Leaf- has the widest spectrum of defense; its anit-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-microbial
*The big three…Vitamin C, Colloidial Silver and Olive Leaf combined have the biggest impact when taken together.