You’re driving and you get stuck in traffic, or you’re shopping and the check out takes twice as long as normal. Finally, you arrive home, and then it hits you. You’re hungry, really hungry. That’s when you have less than 45 seconds to get a snack or some food to eat. What will you do? What will you choose? In less than 45 seconds you will eat just about anything in your path. Unfortunately, the food and readily available items in your home cabinet may be the least beneficial. Cookies, candy, crackers, chips and fast foods may take off the edge of feeling those hunger pains, but the effects of these vary from raising your blood sugar levels, to clearly no nutritional value to weight gain and so on. By choosing one of these fake foods (as I call them) you have lost the opportunity to nourish your body and give it what it really craves, superfoods!
So what kind of options could you have chosen? Now given the opportunity to look at it in a new perspective here are some suggestions. Of course having cut up carrots, celery or other vegetables is an option but after a while even those don’t sound so inviting. Here’s a quick list and a short and easy recipe to make.
- A Hard-boiled Egg- an egg is a superfood. Eggs are a great source of protein, plus A, D and E. Make a few at the beginning of the week, this will make it easier when you only have a few seconds left.
- Apple or Banana slices with fresh Almond Butter- we like to buy fresh ground Almond Butter at the local health food store. Almonds are alkaline and are very filling, another good source of protein and essential fats.
- Green Drink-keep a green drink or protein drink powder available. These are easy to mix with tea, or milk and it will immediately make you feel nourished and give you extra time to make a meal. (check your local health food store for one without sugar, artificial sweeteners etc)
- Avocado- great since it is filling, a good fat, fights off the bad belly fat. Besides being packed with the good fats, and vitamin E it’s also know to help lower cholesterol.
- Granola- Here’s a quick recipe that the whole family can enjoy: Do the following on a Sunday evening to last during the busy week ahead.
½ Cup of Organic Raw Walnuts
½ Cup of Organic Raw Almonds
½ Cup of Organic Raw Sunflower Seeds
½ Cup of Organic Raw Pumpkin Seeds
Mix all the nuts and seeds together in a bowl and cover them with spring water. Put a towel or lid over and let sit on the counter for 6 hours.
Then rinse the nuts and seeds, put them into a blender add some cinnamon for taste (1/2 tsp. or more)
Chop the mixture until you get the consistency of granola cereal.
Then add some organic Raisins.
Add your Organic Milk or (almond /rice milk) then enjoy.
Option: add fresh fruit to the top like Organic Berries, Banana,
Keep the mixture in the refrigerator and enjoy the rest of the week.
By soaking the nuts you have activated the enzymes, the nuts are soft, they’re not processed and you have a healthy snack waiting for you. This is a great for anytime and for any age…especially those pregnant moms or nursing moms.
So the next time you have 45 seconds or less choose a food or snack that your body craves and needs…Superfoods!